Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New Nanny Report

We had fallen into a very comfortable routine of Nanny Claudia coming to our house 2 days a week and V going to Queenie's house the other 3 days while I work 8:30 to 2:30 downtown. That routine died along with Nanny Claudia's car almost 2 months ago.

First we tried alternate transportation. A cab ride was quoted at $12, but actually cost $27. No good. We tried getting up earlier, making the haul to N. Raleigh, then returning Nanny C to any number of destinations. We found fill in babysitters while we waited for her car to get repaired. None of it did any good. The car is just dead and we couldn't face an unknown future of having to import a nanny for V.

So I embarked on nanny search 9000. First I tried the sisters of friends. V loved it- somehow anyone younger than her mother is very intriguing to her. Sara in particular won her heart and mine. However, being a great babysitter means everyone wants a piece of you and some church camp lured Sara away from me. Argh. I shouldn't complain, but really, a church camp is more important than my perfect child?

I started eyeing every college student as a potential babysitter. I seriously considered asking the woman behind the counter in our favorite Mediterranean restaurant who always makes a fuss about V if she'd ever considered a career as a nanny. I kept telling myself what an easy stage V is in and how anyone with half a brain and a willingness to blow bubbles for hours on end could be a summer nanny. I just kept coming up short.

Then, miracle of all miracles, I asked my beloved college student intern at the theatre if she knew of anyone who would make a good nanny and she immediately told me about her roommate. Someone she's known since elementary school. Someone who lives not 2 miles from my house. Someone who's in school studying speech pathology and volunteers at the Boys & Girls Club.

After 2 days of rigorous interviewing which involved afternoon playtime with V (note that it was raining one day and she kept my toddler happy inside for 3 hours straight), Jordan was hired.

She's already taken V to the park (Claudia's knees wouldn't let her walk uphill) and got 2 naps a day in so I think we're in good shape. Now if I can just teach her to recycle and to clean off the highchair tray we'll really be back in the swing of things. Keep your fingers crossed for us all.

No comments: