Saturday, January 31, 2009

Baptised in Barf: Vomitfest 2009

My younger brother's heavy metal band, Daylight Dies, is on tour this week (check them out by clicking here!) so I have metal on my brain (but barf on my socks).

We have been very lucky-V has rarely been sick and yesterday was the FIRST TIME she ever truly threw up. I picked her up from school early and we spent the afternoon watching cartoons. She was acting fine-said her tummy didn't hurt-and we needed some diapers so I figured I'd try to squeeze in a quick trip to Target. I was feeling sorry for her so I got her a cookie at Target while I quickly loaded up with essentials (diapers, floor cleaner, rubber snake).

20 minutes after we got home she transformed from happy V:


To something resembling Iron Maiden's Eddie:


I was covered in chocolate scented, chunky carrot barf before I could say "what's wrong?"

She immediately felt better...so I caved in and gave her a snack. More barf. I broke out the Pedialyte. More barf. Plain noodles for supper. More barf.

This morning I waited a full hour with just water before giving her crackers. She was fine. We made pancakes. She seemed fine. She went to play with Daddy...guess what? More barf!

I finally decide to take a look at the "Bible of babies"; the American Academy of Pediatrics' Caring for Your Baby and Young Child and it clearly says no food for 2-3 hours after vomiting...then water...then Pedialyte and absolutely NO solid foods for 12-24 hours.

Guess I should have checked with them first. Maybe I'd be doing less laundry right now. Ugh.

The good news is that V seems to be suffering very little, except for the 20 seconds before barfing. Toddlerhood...what a wonderful world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, sorry Babygirl is sick, I hope she feels mo betta, soon. Tell her that her gandfather is thinking of her and can't wait to see her.
AC

Anonymous said...

Grandma is sending get well wishes to V! No fun barfing is it?! Hoping this will pass soon.
Love,
Grandma

Stephanie Coyne said...

ugh. so sorry for V, but more sorry for you. ick.

Hang in there - all of you!

Bill said...

OOOF! Barf is way gross. Thankfully C hasn't brought it like V did this weekend. Glad to hear she is on the mend.

Hope you aren't too scarred, but probably don't want a CC cookie for a while, right?

Anonymous said...

I will say if there is one thing i ever read/learned its never give barfing kids more food or drinks! I buy myles & k a sprite and shake it till its flat and they sip on that for the day! If the drinks stay down for more than 4 hours then you can have a saltine, if that stays down we are in business! non color foods are your best bet!! hope shes doing well!
erin