Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day Part II: Fruit

With warm weather comes the abundance of fruit and veggies! Mmmm, good times for the VeggieBruces and Virginia in particular as she is made up of approximately 95% fruit.

We took our second trip to Vollmer Farm in Franklin County, this time with E's parents for strawberry picking!
With a little help from Grandaddy, V caught on quick

The fields were just gorgeous- I had never seen strawberry plants before (that I recall, Dad claims we had them in out backyard in Athens but I was too little to remember). The strawberries were dark red and ready to be picked! We made quick work of picking 4, 5-gallon buckets.



When we started to leave the field, I finally let V eat a strawberry...I was glad I waited. She was a bottomless pit after the first one.


As mentioned previously, after a good nap, we headed to Durham for fun with friends and V got to eat her second favorite food, watermelon! Do these pictures scream summer or what?



In just a few short weeks we'll have 6 kinds of tomatoes, plus peppers & zucchini of our own to eat alongside the bags and bags of frozen strawberries I now have in the freezer! Anyone up for strawberry shortcake?

No comments: