Sunday, August 17, 2008

We heart summer veggies

So T & I signed up for a thing called Papaspuds. Once a week we get a delivery of fresh, NC grown (mostly) organic produce. It has been great for inspiring me to cook after a couple of months of not wanting to cook at all.

Here's a recent delivery I thought was especially pretty:


Corn, rainbow chard, peppers, slicing tomatoes and plums
I am really enjoying having to search for recipes for things like rainbow chard. I am also enjoying the fact that this service lets me switch out items so I am not on my 8th week of cucumbers. :)

In addition to Papaspuds I have been making a concerted effort to go to the downtown farmers' market where the organic farmers gather once a week. Although some of them are a little scary, I do enjoy chatting with the farmers about heirloom tomatoes or weird things called sprite melons.

Here's a recent supper I prepared that we thought was delicious.


Butternut squash stuffed with faux-sausage and rice, oven roasted rosemary potatoes and an arugula, heirloom yellow tomatoes and goat cheese salad.
We are really working toward becoming total locavore nerds, mostly because it sounds hip and just being vegetarian is so 90s. We're so dedicated that we even bought greenish blueish eggs at the farmers' market from a man with a wonky eye and dirty fingernails. Now that says LOCAVORE! Bon appetit!

No comments: