Sunday, October 25, 2009

Weekend Getaway

Can I just say how wonderful it is to get away from it all every now and then? I mean, look how happy we are here!

My wonderful parents kept V for the weekend so T & I could go on a birthday escape to Asheville for some time alone and with, well, beer.

So as to not sound like a couple of alcoholics, I must acknowledge that as a home brewer and official beer nerd, whenever we travel Tres insists we sample the local brewery. Or, in the case of Asheville, AKA Beer City USA, four breweries. We took the Asheville Brews Cruise to Pisgah Brewery, Highland Brewery and Asheville Pizza & Brewing. Below are a few of my favorite shots from Highland.

Now that's a lot of beer.


Posing Laverne & Shirley style by the bottling belt.


What more could a man ask for?

On our own we went to Green Man Brewery and found another really cool place called the Thirsty Monk that had a whole basement bar with only Belgian beer. Needless to say, I've finally gotten on the beer train with Tres, mostly to have something to do on trips other than watch Tres wipe beer foam off his beard.

The other highlight of Asheville is the food. Lots and lots of it. There's the obvious excitement of an all-veg restaurant (mmmm....Laughing Seed we love you) but it seems like everywhere we go, there are a ridiculous amount of veg options. We were pretty much stuffed the whole time we were there, and then on the last morning I found this:


Grit cakes topped with tomatoes, spinach, poached eggs, veg tomato gravy and avocado. With a homemade biscuit no less. I practically licked the plate. Early Girl is my new favorite place, and that's saying a lot considering how much I love Mabel's outdoor bar (a place where we made ourselves sit and have a drink despite the temperature being 40 degrees).

As soon as we hit the lottery we are buying a modern mountain castle and moving to Asheville. And apparently getting very fat from too much good food and beer. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when drinking beer was fun for me, too. I think my problem was that beer was too cheap then. With the high cost of these designer beers today it's hard to be a drunk! Can I get a witness?
AC (formerly know as paw paw)

Bill said...

Did you get to ride in Asheville?

Unknown said...

bill, i wish. no bike riding on this trip, just some good, quality time with E. between my full-time job, my freelance business and family its hard to get those long rides in.

Bill said...

Tres...It was probably cold anyway. Sounds like you enjoyed some quality beer though. Thanks for your approval of our "educational" clip- nice to be recognized by a pro.