Monday, July 13, 2009

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Tres was out of town for the weekend (Vegetarian photographer shoots bass fishing tournament in Vermont. Ironic story live at 11.) so V and I were on our own for fun this weekend!

After an exciting Saturday that included doing laundry while also playing V's favorite game "baby" (it involves pretending to nap, pretending to cry and, sometimes, pretending to drink from a dirty sippy cup held as a bottle) we decided to liven things up on Sunday with a trip to Pullen Park. Pullen Park is also known as "the park with the slide that Grandma takes me to" which is not to be confused with "the park with the slide where the kids are" in my mother's neighborhood.

We brought along a couple of pbnjs, crackers, and V's new buddy "Hello Kitty" which was purchased specifically as a bribe to let me get through my Target shopping list.



It was tons of fun...until we tried to play in the hot sun and V realized everything was one thousand degrees. We tried a slide...she cried at the top and I had to go up the stairs to rescue her. We tried the swings...she cried and said her booty was burning. So we tried the wooden playground.
Where we quickly realized the climbing bars were metal and thus...too hot to play on. Oh well, at least there is the train and carousel, right? NOPE...not before 1 on Sundays. Just remember those delicioso pbnjs, V!!!

We went home and regrouped for naptime and then headed to Marbles to see some NC Theatre Conservatory students sing a few numbers from our upcoming production of The Sound of Music. V was smiling and pointing at the end and as I'm saying "yes, those kids are great, right Virginia?" she says "I wanna go play with the food!" I think she was mad that the kids were blocking her way to the play kitchen the whole time. So much for exposing your kid to the arts.

No matter how many times we go to Marbles I am always amazed at the different things V decides to do. While she is usually attracted to the "chocolate babies" (I just don't know how to correct/address this yet!) this time she latched onto a baby pig and carried it everywhere with her. Here she is as an ambulance driver...using the pig as a booster seat.

She was also a pig-toting firewoman (pig not pictured, but close by, I assure you).

She did take a moment to try to call Daddy. Seriously.


I finally got her out of there with the lure of chocolate ice cream. And wound up carrying her 6 blocks to Crema downtown. It was a little too good- she actually ate every bite when I can usually count on scarfing down the leftovers. I blame the crazy "spoons" they give you which V found fascinating.


It was a very fun weekend...so fun that I went to bed before 9:30 p.m. both nights from sheer exhaustion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to take V to Pullen Park! We ride the train and the carousel together, but it's the boats she really likes, if only we could get her to ring the bell when she is on them! :)
Grandma Ann