Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Does anyone smell baloney?

No, I'm not talking about Sarah Palin.

I'm talking about MY LITTLE PONY! Although I was teased relentlessly by my 2 brothers (and father) that "My Little Pony Smells Like Baloney" my love for those darn ponies was never diminished. I've kept ALL of my ponies in my parents' attic for the last 20 years and now...sweet revenge is mine.

VIRGINIA LOVES THEM. I cannot tell you how happy it makes me. Years of being tortured by my older and younger brother, who sometimes joined taunting forces with not only my father, but my 5 male cousins on the Shackelford side, made me want one thing- A DAUGHTER (OK, so really I wanted a sister but my parents gave me a firm "no" on that back in '78 when my younger brother was born). V has fulfilled all my dreams by liking the very same toys I liked, nay, adored as a child!

Lucky for her the '80s are "in" 'cause she also inherited a strawberry carrying case FULL of original Strawberry Shortcake dolls. Talk about bringing back memories. They even retained some of their fruity essence.



Ah, the things that excite us as parents. Good thing almost-2-year-olds are so easy to please.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aah, too cute! kadence fell in love with erin's "precious places" doll house that we saved from her childhood, and loves the idea that mom played with the same toy when she was 4!

Anonymous said...

I love this story. It makes my otherwise crummy day end with a smile.

Bill said...

Way to recycle your old toys. Very green from the veggies. I also made fun of strawberry shortcake, but she did smell sweet...

Rene said...

Oh my goodness! My daughter still has her "My Little Pony" collection, her Cabbage Patch dolls, her Popples stuffed toy, etc. I'm thrilled to see that Virginia loves your ponies! Strawberry Shortcake was another favorite for my daughter, who is now 25!

I work across the hall from Ann & AC! We've only met one time, but I keep tabs on V from her very proud grandparents!!!

Rene