Sunday, October 19, 2008

Halloween = Child Abuse?

There's something about Halloween for the very young that I think may be borderline abusive. You dress a small child up in something ill-fitting and uncomfortable for a few minutes of begging neighbors for candy, which in V's case, she can't even eat most likely. It's definitely more for the parents than for the kids!

Last year, T picked the costume and she was Princess Leia. Here's what she thought about it:
I'm pretty sure she's screaming either "I LOVE HALLOWEEN" or "I'M GOING TO GET YOU FOR THIS DADDY!" I can't remember which.

This year I drug an almost 2 year old to 4 stores to "pick her own" costume and watched as she said "NO" to the approximately 75 costumes I offered up (even Wonder Woman! Who doesn't want to be Wonder Woman?) Finally, we stopped in a kids consignment shop and I found the greatest costume of all time- a PEGASUS.

Thick and uncomfortable with an awkwardly fitting hood head.



Perfect! Or perfectly abusive?

No comments: